Dear Friends, Families, and Patients,
Through issuance of Executive Order 20-72, Gov. Ron DeSantis has mandated the prohibition of any medically unnecessary, non-urgent or non-emergency procedure or surgery in the state of Florida. He has done so to conserve medical supplies and resources, preserve essential resources and control the potential spread of COVID-19.
According to the American Association of Orthodontics, non-elective procedures, including those considered to be orthodontic emergencies, are defined as remedying one or more of the following:
- Significant oral pain (Keep in mind many poky wires/hooks and broken brackets can be managed by wax or sectioning an archwire with cuticle cutters/nail clippers, so may be considered elective.)
- Limited function (limited or painful opening/closing of mouth while chewing)
- Physical event yielding the above
Unless any of the above is true, loose brackets and bands, as well as lost or broken retainers/aligners, should be considered elective.
Nearly all of us are inundated with new challenges – unforeseen and unimaginable by most of us just a few weeks ago. As we address these challenges, know that we are here for you.
We will reach out to you soon.
- CDC real-time updates: click here.
- Updates from the Florida Department of Health: click here.
Stay safe and comfortable,
EA Smiles Team