1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
1 lb. ground beef
2 tomatoes, chopped
2 tbsp. tomato paste
Kosher salt, to taste
ground pepper, to taste
6 medium flour tortillas
1 tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
1 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
1 c. Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
Sour cream (optional)
lime, cut into wedges (optional)
Pico de gallo, Sour cream, Fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400° and grease an 8″ or 9″ spring form pan with cooking spray. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and cook, stirring, until soft, about 5 minutes, then add garlic and spices and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Add ground beef and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 6 minutes. Drain fat.
- Return beef mixture to skillet over medium heat and stir in tomatoes and tomato paste. Cook 2 minutes more, then season with salt and pepper.
- Build cake: Place a tortilla on bottom of prepared spring form pan. Top with a layer of beef mixture and a handful of both cheeses. Repeat for five layers total, ending with cheese.
- Bake until cheese is melty and tortillas are warmed through, 20 minutes. Let cool in pan 5 minutes.
- Garnish with desired toppings before slicing and serving.
Braces Friendly Recipe.