- 4 cups broccoli florets cut into small bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 yellow onion diced small
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 4 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 3 TBSP unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (see note)
- Combine the broccoli, onion, shredded carrots, chicken stock, salt, pepper, and nutmeg in the slow cooker and cook on low for four hours.
- Turn the slow cooker to high.
- In a small saucepan melt the butter. Slowly whisk in the flour. Get a cup of liquid from the slow cooker. Very very slowly add it to the saucepan whisking it in as you go. Then very slowly whisk in the half and half.
- Add the flour/butter/half and half mixture to the crockpot and stir it in to combine. Slowly add in the cheddar cheese. It works best to add about a 1/4 cup at a time, stir it in, cover the crockpot for a few minutes, and then add another 1/4 cup until you have used all the cheese.
- After adding all the cheese, turn off the crockpot (no need to cook for the full half-hour) and serve!
Cheddar cheese shredded off the block (rather than store-bought shredded) works best in this recipe!